Aerofiler has three different types of fields that it associated with each document: standard, custom, and system. Fields are sometimes referred to as "metadata". Fields can be displayed as a column on any page which contains a table of documents (such as the Review and Inbox pages). All fields are sortable and filterable.
Standard fields are the fields that come with Aerofiler "out-of-the-box." Standard fields have the following characteristics:
- Some have autodetection algorithms behind them, meaning that whenever you upload a document, we will analyze the document and attempt to automatically fill in the standard field with a value we think is correct.
- Although you cannot delete standard fields, you can choose not to make use of them and also hide them from view.
- For any standard fields that are Lists of Values (such as Document Type), you can modify the list values.
Custom fields are fields that you specify that you want to track with each document.
To add Custom Fields, click Organization at the top of the Settings screen, then click Fields in the left side bar:
Explanation of the fields:
- Field Name: This is the full name of the field you want to track.
- Column Title: When editing a table full of documents, Field Names are used as column headings. However, some column headings can be lengthy, such that they do not display well in these tables. “Column Title” can be used to replace the Field Name used in column headings with an abbreviated version. For example, using the abbreviation “T4C” instead of “Termination for Convenience” can save valuable screen real estate.
- Description: The description field is used for reference purposes only and is only viewable on this screen. The description is intended to explain, in plain English, what the Field Name represents.
Type: Can be one of 6 values:
- Yes / No
- List of Values (each field contains exactly one item)
- Multi List of Values (each field contains one or more items)
Tip: Spend some time planning what custom fields you want to have. Keep in mind that the more custom fields you have, the more work you'll create for yourself to maintain those fields and perform data entry!
System fields are automatically generated by Aerofiler and can't be modified. They include things such as:
- when a document was uploaded
- who uploaded the document
- the document's original file name
- the document's file size on disk